Monday, October 19, 2009

Do I expect too much?

The past two weeks at church, The Journey, we have been divulged in a series that has left a lot on my mind. It has focused on the "fires" we are faced with in life and our perspective. This Sunday really left me with a big question....

Do I expect too much, but give too little?

Any time I have been faced with a fire, big or small, I begin to ask God for a way out and for it to be convenient for me. He never fails to answer my prayers or get me through the situation, but am I doing my part after he answers my prayer?

I go to church most Sundays, I worship him, I praise him, and I am alert and attentive during service, but I do not follow him on a daily basis with this same focus and enthusiasm as on Sunday Morning. Although I have made a great deal of progress in my personal life with some of my struggles, I still make the same mistake of putting my pleasure before his plan. I may use vulgar language, I may make crude jokes, I may give selfish advice, and I do not live my life as an example of a Christian seven days a week. I let my surroundings influence my behavior in whatever environment I am in. I tend to conform with the environment instead of refraining from saying or doing some things that I may not have done outside of that particular environment.

I know everyone has their struggles, but I have been making a conscious effort to face my head on! I need to be held accountable and give back to a God who gives me so much.

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! I think we all need to take a closer look at our lives and be completely honest with ourselves. Many of us could say the same thing that you are and yet don't. Thanks for being an example to so many of us Shawn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent....I am reading a great author from the mid 1930s. I like what he said....Knowledge is great but basically worthless until it is being put into practice. Sorta kicked my butt..so back to the school of actually doing what I am hearing and reading...a great journey for all of us.

    ReplyDelete